Beyond Good & Evil 2 was announced a number of years ago. There have been a few, small leaks as of late, but Ubisoft has mostly kept quiet since its initial announcement.
However, the July 2012 issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine contains a fairly significant update from creator Michel Ancel.
Speaking about the project’s development, Ancel said:
“It’s a very personal project. It’s something I’d love to finish and to do. Unfortunately, we need a lot of time to make it.”
Ancel went on to discuss why the project is taking too long. He said that Beyond Good & Evil is “ambitious” and that the team is trying to “make the game of our dreams”.
“It’s not the kind of game where you’re working on it as a ‘main thing’. There’s a mix of research that we’re doing in 3D. It’s ambitious – we want to make the game of our dreams.”
Ancel promised that Beyond Good & Evil 2 isn’t another Duke Nukem Forever. In other words, development hasn’t come to a complete stop, nor have there been any reboots.
“Some games have you waiting ten years, then they’re released and you’re disappointed. There are different reasons for a game taking a long time, and sometimes it’s because there are lots of reboots during development. This isn’t the case [here]. We’re doing research. We have engineers working on big cities and massive environments. It’s really about doing all the technical research and making it as good as we’d love it to be.”
Regarding Beyond Good & Evil 2′s gameplay, OPM states that Ancel prefers “third-person Assassin’s Creed style-movement, and not necessarily the Mirror’s Edge rooftop racing outlined in early leaked videos.”
Thanks to joclo for the tip.
- Rumor: Tintin game will be at E3, Beyond Good & Evil 2 work to resume after Tintin Published on: May 18, 2011
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 beta video shows environments Published on: May 11, 2012
- Ubisoft breathes new life into Beyond Good & Evil HD for PlayStation Network Published on: June 29, 2011
- Slant Six responds to Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City reception, Published on: March 23, 2012
- Short Thief 4 trailer leaked, development details Published on: June 13, 2012