Update 2: Added in the official announcement below.
Update: The Japanese event is officially over, but we do want to mention just a few more tidbits:
- World is ending in 13 days, and Lightning must save it before the countdown ends
- Day/night cycle included
- Tons of ways to dress Lightning up, which affects battle
- Real-time gameplay
- Control Lightning’s movements in battle
Square Enix has been teasing a new Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga game for what feels like ages now. Today, the company finally unveiled what it has in store for the series.
During a stage show event for the Final Fantasy 25th anniversary event in Japan, Square Enix shared the first details on a brand new Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga project for consoles: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
Lighting, of course, is back, and she’ll be stronger than ever. The game will feature Lightning’s final battle as well.
As revealed by Square Enix, there will be customization elements, and the game features fantasy, gothic, and mechanical themes.
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII launches next year.
LOS ANGELES (Aug. 31, 2012) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, today unveiled the final chapter to Lightning’s saga at a fan-filled 25th anniversary event of the FINAL FANTASY® franchise. LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII, due out next year, incorporates a brand-new story, world, characters and an enhanced gameplay system.
The FINAL FANTASY XIII franchise has now shipped more than 9.6 million units worldwide. Production is underway, and the game will feature Lightning as a playable character and will allow players to experience an active and expansive environment like never before.
- Square Enix: New Final Fantasy XIII project has just started development Published on: August 1, 2012
- Square Enix prepares for Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Saga announcement with Twitter account Published on: August 27, 2012
- Square Enix to hold Final Fantasy XIII presentation on September 1; FFXIII-3 incoming? Published on: July 20, 2012
- Square Enix won’t talk Final Fantasy X for PS3/Vita, Versus XIII progressing well Published on: August 31, 2012
- Square Enix to release Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2 Dual Pack Published on: